Friday, November 13, 2009

I'm at a place called VERTIGO!

Vertigo is the feeling that you or your environment is moving when no movement occurs. Imprecisely called dizziness, the term vertigo is the specific term used to describe an illusion of movement. Unlike nonspecific lightheadedness or dizziness, vertigo has relatively few causes.

Vertigo Causes

Vertigo can be caused by problems in the brain or the inner ear.



Back when I was in high school, and for a few years when I was working, I'd get this dizziness when i'd get up in the morning. My alarm would go off, i'd get up and get this really warm feeling, the room would spin and i'd feel really disoriented. I'd sit or lay back down for a minute or two, and i'd be fine. It hasn't really happened in a few years, maybe once in a blue moon. But last night was HORRIBLE.

Hubby's alarm went off at 4am. I woke up and was super thirsty. And it felt HOT AS HELL in our bedroom. I was sweaty and uncomfortable. So I got up to go get a drink and check to see what the temp was in the house. I stood up and the room was spinning. So I sat back down. I got back up when I felt okay and the room started spinning again. I was like Ok, i'm just going to the kitchen, i'll be okay.

WRONG!

I started walking down the hall, and the room was not only spinning, but it felt like it was tilting to the right. So i'm going down the hall, leaning on the wall because it felt like I was going to fall over if I stood up straight. I check the temp, it was 74 degrees. I was sweating. I stumbled into the kitchen, got a drink, stumbled back to bed. I felt like I was going to puke. So off to the bathroom I went. But once I got there, the nausea was gone. So I started my stumble back to the bedroom, and I felt like I was going to puke again. Back to the bathroom. I tried to make myself throw up, thinking that if I did then I would feel better.

WRONG AGAIN!

Then Kota woke up. He had heard Mason's alarm going off and woke up. And he was hungry. I was thinking Crap, I can't pick him up feeling like this! What if I fall down?! So I made daddy get up and feed and change baby. I went back to bed.

Mason came in and woke me up asking if I needed him to stay home from work. I told him no, just let me rest and i'd be fine. He asked if I had been drinking. WHAT? Drinking?!
The asshat of the year award goes to my lovely hubby. Yes, I totally drank that bottle of vodka that magically appeared in our home. Grrr.....

So Kota let me sleep in till about 8:30, when he woke up hungry again. I got up, thinking i'd be okay.

Wrong. Yet again. *sigh*

So i'm stumbling around the house trying to find my cellphone to call my mom and ask her to come over and take care of the baby because i'm terrified that i'm going to fall down while i'm holding him. Or puke on him (eww). My mom wasn't home. She was at the store with my grandma across town. FUCK! I don't know anyone else that could of came over to help. Mason works an hour away. So I got baby's bottle ready, and instead of sitting in the livingroom or in our bedroom to feed him, I just put the side of his crib down, pull him out and sit on the floor next to his bed and feed him. Go figure, that after he ate, he didn't want to go back to sleep. So I put him in his swing, and went back to bed.
My mom got home about an hour later and came over and took care of him. I didn't feel better till about 12 this afternoon. And even now, I still feel a little dizzy, but the room is no longer spinning or tilting.

It's never gotten that bad before. I could literally see and feel the room spinning and tilting. In my mind I knew that it wasn't, but I could still see and feel it happening. Very strange and disturbing.


When I was feeling better I explained to my mom what had happened in detail and she asked if this was the first time it had happened. I said no, but this is the worst it's ever been. Usually it's just feeling dizzy and really warm and goes away rather quickly after sitting back down. She told me that her and my dad have had the same problem and they both went to the doctor and it was diagnosed as Vertigo. She said that I should of said something sooner. I always thought that I was just getting up too fast and it happened to everyone. Apparently I was wrong (noticing a pattern here? lol).


My mom said she'd take me to the Dr to see if there is anything they can do, but i'm not ready to go yet. If it happens again today or tomorrow, or I still feel kind of dizzy tomorrow, i'll go. If this starts happening more frequently, i'll have to go. I can't raise a 5 month old by being in bed all the time!


But of course now that i'm feeling better, baby wants to take a nap. :-/ Guess i'll go wash dishes or do something productive. Or just take another nap. :)



1 comment:

  1. Have you seen the movie vertigo?
    dude when baby naps I get online!

    ReplyDelete